Saturday, September 26, 2009

Descriptive Thing

I hadn't really even known him before I heard that my second-cousin had passed away. The funeral was to take place the next week, and before I knew it the day had come. It is incredibly strange to see someone half your age and size in a coffin in front of you. Seeing someone your own age, or even older is much easier to comprehend. It is just more realistic. The light from the sky windows in the church came down in pillars that lit up the room, and musicians began to play hymns of a sending-away.
Later, during the burial Matthew's entire third grade class was given flowers to drop into his grave with him. Some of them managed to get them to land on the coffin, and they were very proud of this. Before the truck began filling the gaping hole in the ground with more dry dirt his uncle came and took a handful of it and dropped it in on top of the flowers. He let it go slowly; it sifted through his fingers and gently dusted the flowers that lay above him.

No comments:

Post a Comment